Thursday, December 20, 2007

Mr. Incredible and Angels

Ever had one of those days where something happens and you're not really sure how to process the event, let alone make any sense out of it? It's a "near miss" kind of day...you just know there has to be a supernatural explanation.

We were at a friend's home last week enjoying some of the best chowder I've ever had and some really good company. The home was warm, inviting, and buzzing with the sound of friendship. We needed to leave so we went out to our car. I got in, but my husband was standing on the driver's side looking puzzled. He asked me to come and look at something, and there it was. A huge tree limb on the ground, stretching beyond the length of the car, almost preventing him from opening the door. We both looked at each other as the realization of the situation came to us - the limb had fallen while we were inside. There were a couple of scratches, then we found a few dents. My husband went inside to get our host so he could show him what happened and discuss the situation. As they came outside, eventually the entire housefull of people followed. As we all stood looking at the car, suddenly our host looked at the REAR of the car - the bumper was cracked in two pieces and there was even more damage...because there was an even larger section of the tree on the ground. Now people, I'm not talking about a little branch. I'm talking about an entire top section of a very tall oak tree. These limbs were of the crushing variety. As everyone oohed and aahed in bewilderment, we decided we would both call our insurance companies in the morning and go from there. We drove away.

It wasn't until the next morning, when talking to my insurance company, that I realized how blessed we were. "Was anyone hurt?" was the first question the agent asked. No, no one was in the car. "Was there any glass damage?" No. "Is the car driveable?" Well, yes.

The sections of tree that fell could have, and should have, crushed our car. Their position on the ground was nothing short of miraculous - as if they had been pushed aside from the car at the last minute. We could have been in the car. We could have been standing right there. Kids could have been playing in that section of the yard. None of this was the case, though. You see, I serve a very big God, and He has given His angels charge over me and my family, and I choose to believe His angels were hard at work that day.

My story doesn't end there. After talking to the insurance company, we determined that every dollar of the repair is covered. Every penny. Even if we need a rental car during the repair time. It's not because we have great insurance. It's because we have God's favor in this moment.

Most of us are familiar with the movie "The Incredibles." It's a fantastic story and wonderful entertainment. But in my world, the real world I live in every day, I know there really is a "Mr. Incredible." His name is Jesus. And He can do anything.

1 comment:

terencef said...

I've finally read all of your blogs and they are GOOD! You should write more...

Terence